Monday, February 3, 2014

Pimento Cheese Comfort


I don't know about you, but had I been asked twenty-four hours ago about the probability of snow for today, I would have responded, "Slim to none."  And do you know why I would have answered that way?  Because I was too busy thinking about food for the Super Bowl (Yep, I'm one of them).

But awaking to heavy snow this morning, a snowfall that has brought more than six inches so far, I realized that the reason I was protected from usual forecast sensationalizing was because the Super Bowl grabbed a humongous chunk of broadcast time this past week.  None of us knew what was coming (in more ways than one).

Maybe the Broncos weren't the winners last night, but this recipe was!  Yay!  It is soooo easy to make and has the ability to play many roles. Not only is the taste memorable, the combination of flavors from minimal ingredients unique, but it is…don't hate me... slightly addictive ;)

It's pimento cheese, a staple of the South.  Though there are many modifications, there is no denying its prominence as a flavor enhancer and prominent player in southern food culture. Question:  Why has it taken me so long to try this lovely blend of ingredients?

Chunky or smooth, made with few ingredients or a few more, pimento cheese is a versatile winner.  Last night, it was served as a dip for crackers and chips, but I can see it being used for making grilled cheese sandwiches, as a topping for burgers or hotdogs, or as a major player in creating crostini.  I've also read that a popular after school snack is pimento cheese spread between two pieces of bread.

Pimento Cheese Comfort
(adapted from David Leite's blog)

Yield: about 1 1/2 cups

8 ounces of sharp orange Cheddar cheese, grated
3/8 cups of mayonnaise
2 ounces of pimentos, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon grated sweet onion, like a Vidalia
Freshly ground pepper to taste


Directions

1.  I used a bag of shredded cheese.  (Use a grater if you need to create the shreds.)
2.  Place the shredded cheese into a bowl.
3.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4.  Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to meld the flavors.
5.  Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment