Thursday, June 26, 2014

Small World Banana Bread



Two posts ago, when I shared the Purposeful Pigs cupcake recipe, I alluded to a banana bread recipe that I have made many times in the past.  Often it was prepared when I had a snow day from school, and I wanted the kids to come to breakfast with something warm from the oven.  That same banana bread recipe is the subject for today's post.

Way back before you were born, while I was preparing for marriage, it just so happens that I received a cookbook, Forum Feasts, from a college friend at my wedding shower.  The cookbook endeavor was conceived by The Forum School and was a huge fundraiser for its programs.  Founded in 1954, the school provides services for developmentally atypical children from 3-21 years of age. (See here.)  Now 60 years old, the school continues its humanistic plan that allows everyone to develop at their own pace.  Refreshing, yes?

In 2010, my husband and I moved to northern NJ, barely 20 miles from The Forum School.  Small world, isn't it? My copy of this cookbook has lost its front and back covers and a couple of pages through the years.  I believe I have the 1978 edition, a reprint, but those identifying pages are long gone.  Below on the left is what the cookbook originally looked like, and the picture on the right is what my copy looks like today.  What remains of my cookbook are the meaningful recipes.  Many desserts from FF have made it to my family's table, but this banana bread recipe holds lasting memories as well.



Notes

1a)  Yes, I use self-rising flour (leavening agent already in) instead of ap...you know me well :)
1b)  But, if you prefer using ap flour, click on the original recipe link below.
2)  I cut the sugar to 3/4 cup.
3)  I have also baked this bread in two mini loaf pans as you will see today.
4)  This recipe can be prepared easily in one bowl using a fork to mix everything.
5)  Go ahead.  After baking, toast a slice in a bit of butter in a frying pan, sprinkle a bit of brown sugar into the mix, and after plating, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Decadent.


Small World Banana Bread
original recipe here
Yield:  One 5" x 9" loaf or two mini loaves

3 large ripe bananas
1 egg, room temperature
a good 3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sliced almonds for topping (optional)

Directions

1.  Grease your baking loaf pan(s).
2.  Mash bananas well and place into bowl of electric mixer.  Add egg and sugar and mix thoroughly.
3.  Add melted butter and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4.  Add the self-rising flour and salt.  Mix.


5.  Scrape batter in pan(s), dividing equally if using smaller pans.  Smooth top and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

I used a scale to insure equal loaves.

6.  Bake for 1 hour if using one regular loaf pan or 40 minutes if using smaller loaf pans.
7.  Use foil to cover the top of loaf if it browns too quickly.  Test doneness with a toothpick.
8.  Remove from oven and cool for 15-30 minutes before loosening and removing from pan.




2 comments:

  1. i loved this post! i was just thinking about making banana bread today. after reading your simple and delicious recipe, i will just have to make it! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out. You won't be disappointed :) xo

      Delete