Monday, January 26, 2015

Mimicking PayDay


So you already know that I have a pretty mature sweet tooth.  I make no excuses for this personal quality. I am not fazed in the least by all the press on sugar ingestion and bodily inflammation (well, maybe I am a bit).  It is not that I don't believe the research.  I do.  In the grand scheme of things though, I am a very healthy eater.  Nevertheless, I accommodate (gently) the 'sweet invite' mostly every day.  And likely, this won't change.  Ever.

But here's some good news:  I also don't buy any commercially-made cookies, cakes, candy bars, doughnuts, or the like.  Instead, I bake.  Lots.  And I freeze.  Lots.

In my past, I have loooooovvvved Snickers Bars, but I cannot remember the last time I had/bought one.  I also loooooovvvvveeee candy corn, and I can remember the last time I had a bag (or two) in the house.  That would be October of 2014 (and 2013 and 2012, etc.)

PayDay Bars have also been candy that I have appreciated in the past.  This classic confection of salted peanuts surrounding a caramel center pushes all my buttons.  So, when I saw this homemade recipe for them recently, I jumped.  Believe it or not, this candy bar debuted in the early 1930's!  (And you thought I was older than the hills...not so fast...)

Notes

1.  I used a 9" x 13" glass pan because I don't own a 7" x 11" as specified in the mentor recipe.
2.  Therefore, I had more area to cover with peanuts...YUM!  Though I used more than 3 cups of salted peanuts, I used less than 4 cups.  Just put in enough to cover the bottom and top lavishly :)

Mimicking PayDay

3-4 cups salted peanuts
3 tsp. butter (I used salted)
2 cups peanutbutter chips
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Directions

1.  Pour 1 and 1/2 cups peanuts into the 9 x 13 inch pan and spread so that they cover the bottom completely.  You may need more depending on the dimensions of your pan.
2.  In a small saucepan, melt the butter and peanutbutter chips until combined.


3.  Add condensed milk and marshmallows and stir until all is combined.
4.  Pour mixture over peanuts in 9 x 13 inch pan.  Smooth as needed.


5.  Top with remaining 1 and 1/2 cups peanuts.  Use more to completely cover the top of the caramel.
6.  Let cool.
7.  Cut into pieces.
8.  Remaining confection can be refrigerated.  Or wrap in saran and freeze in ziplock bags for later.

PayDay on the Christmas cookie platter

No comments:

Post a Comment